Carved out of the erstwhile District of Cuttack, Kendrapara District is situated in Central Coastal plain zone of Odisha. The District is bounded by Bhadrak District at its North, Jagatsinghpur District at its South, Cuttack District at its West and Bay of Bengal at its East. Kendrapad District lies in 20 degree 20’ N to 20 degree37’ N Latitude and 86 degree 14’ E to 87 degree 01’ E Longitude. The Coastline of Kendrapara District covers 48 Km stretching from Dhamra Muhan to Batighar. Headquarters of Kendrapara District is well known as the Tulasi Khetra. Epics unveil the fact that Lord Balram killed Kandrasura here. Then he married his daughter Tulasi and settled here. Since then the place is known as Kendrapara. In 1st April, 1993 Cuttack District was bifurcated to form Kendrapara District. Kendrapara city is the administrative headquarters of Kendrapara District. Agriculture is the main occupation of the people. A little more than 70 percent people dependent on agriculture. Rice, groundnut, green gram, black gram and jute are the main crops grown in the District. However, frequent occurrence of natural calamities viz cyclone, flood and drought has broken the backbone of the people . In order to survive under these conditions, people go for cultivation of their stapple food crop rice during rabi in the assured irrigated areas. Jute is the main cash crop of the district, grown since long. Groundnut is an important oil seed crop of the District. Coconut is the important horticulture crop in Kendrapara District.
Kendrapara District holds many historical events in its lap.The District was named as Tulasi Kshetra, Gupta Kshetra, Brahma Kshetra and Kendrapalli in the pages of the mythological texts and purans.The District owes its name from the death of one mythical demon named “Kandarasura” who was killed by Lord Baladev, the elder brother of Lord Jagannath. The presiding deity, Lord Baladev Jew is being worshipped in picturesque temple at Kendrapara. History says that once upon a time Kendrapara was the trade hub of the ancient Kalinga. It is the first municipality of Odisha during the British Raj.There are many historical places and monuments that shows the heritage of this District.
Listed below are awesome tourist places!
Bhitara Kanika was under the jurisdiction of the erstwhile Kanika Estate. It is covered with deep mangrove forests and saline rivers and was declared a sanctuary on 21.04.1975. It is a world famous place for natural crocodile breeding. The sanctuary is full of heavenly natural beauty and has innumerous animals like deers, wild boars, monkeys, pythons and king cobras.
Kanika Palace is a massive palace constructed by the King of Kanika, Rajendra Narayan Bhanja Deo. It is constructed on an area of 4 acres of land and the height of the structure is 75 feet. It is situated in Rajkanika Block and is around 50 km from the district headquarters. The beauty of the palace is unbelievable.
It is situated near Aul township. It is an ancient palace spread over 40 acres of land. Other structures like Rajbati, Ranimahal, Ghodashala, Bhandar, Udyan, Pramoda Udyan, Debalaya, Devi mandir are included in the palace. Near a river, it was built in a serene atmosphere. It is a famous tourist spot. At a nearer place, lies the burial place of famous freedom fighter Dharanidhar Bhuyan.
In front of the Batighar, it was the first modern port of Odisha coastline. At the mouth of river Mahanadi & Jamboo, this port was commissioned in the year 1855 and was in working condition till 22nd October 1924. A devastating storm on 22nd September 1885 completely destroyed this port. There was a submerged ship in the nearby sea, which is the reminiscent of the past glory.
This is the first lighthouse installed in eastern coast of India. It is around 45 KM from District headquarter and is situated in a village named Batighar, on the other bank of river Kharinasi. It is surrounded with pleasant natural beauty. The height is 125 feet, foundation wall is 15 feet thick. The diameter at land level is 10 feet. To reach the top, 138 steps made of cement concrete and a 16-step ladder are there.
Hukitola Bay and Hukitola Island are located in Odisha, India, north of the Mahanadi river delta.The island was formed from silt deposits.There is a building on the island, which was constructed by British colonists circa 1867 to serve as a rice storehouse.The building has a total plinth area of more than 7,000 square feet carries the proof of excellent British architectural skill with rainwater harvesting system.In late 2013, the building began to be renovated by the State Archaeological Department, with the goal of making it into an eco-tourist spot
Badakotha a legendary monument which was then named so due to its hugeness and also first in the State of Odisha. More than three hundred years back King Narendra s Palace front elevation was called as Badakotha. River Gobari passes in the front side of the building and in the backside a stream of water called as Madhusagar which is now dried up was passing. The other two sides were covered with high walls. The structure is a huge two storied building having pair of rooms in two sides. A passage in the middle of building is of 40 feet length and 15 feet width both in top and ground. The building has front side portico and backside portico. Each room is of 500 square foot. The height of the building is 40 feet with a curved staircase. The thickness of the wall is 40 inches. On each side porticos are rested on round pillars. In total the structure stand on 5000 square feet area
It is situated in Ichhapur, 5kms from Tinimuhani chhak. Here one can see the beautiful temple with other small temples in its side exhibiting the architectural marvel of the ancient Odisha. Lord Baladev is the main deity worshipped in the temple along with his brother and sister. An idol representing Tulasi as Goddess in a seated position is also present after the sacred seven steps. The deities wear different costumes and are decorated in different ways during various important festivals. The chariot on which the three deities mount during the Car Festival is known as “Brahma Taladhwaja Rath”. This is said to be the biggest chariot in the world.